Is Kalanchoe Poisonous to Humans?


Is Kalanchoe Poisonous to Humans
Is Kalanchoe Poisonous to Humans

Is kalanchoe poisonous to humans? This is one of the important questions you might end up asking yourself if you are growing kalanchoe. In this post, I will share with you some facts about this succulent plant.

Succulents are some of the cutest plants you can have indoor. However, it is important to remember that not all succulents are safe for humans and pets. Examples of succulent types you need to be careful with are kalanchoe.

But why? Is kalanchoe poisonous to humans? Yes, if ingested, kalanchoe is poisonous to humans and pets. Kalanchoe has a natural-occurring poison that can severely affect the heart. This poisonous substance is similar to digoxin, a common ingredient for heart medications.

The severity of the impact is largely dependent on the amount being ingested. More means greater danger. The signs of poisoning involve drooling, nausea, vomiting, and abnormal heart rate.

If you have pets indoors, you also need to be careful too. The poisonous substance in kalanchoe can also harm your pets such as dogs and cats. I highly recommend that you keep the kalanchoe plants away from children and pets.

Is Kalanchoe Dangerous to Humans and Animals?

One of the enticing features of kalanchoe is its colorful flowers. Aside from this, the other reasons why many succulent growers love kalanchoe is its blooming time length. It has basically long blooming time which makes it more amazing than other plants.

Kalanchoe is a great plant for a rock garden because it only requires little water. It is definitely a great addition to the outdoor garden. But again, you need to be careful.

Is It Really Poisonous to Humans?

There are some sources that indicate that kalanchoe is poisonous. However, there are other sources that say kalanchoe is not poisonous to humans. Because there are two conflicting ideas, it is better to always avoid ingesting this plant than taking chances.

For me, there is no better route than taking the safe one. Thus, I further suggest to always avoid eating kalanchoe.

Is Kalanchoe Poisonous to Livestock?

Yes, kalanchoe is toxic to many animals due to its cardiac glycosides content. The glycosides have a severe impact on the heart of the animals. I fact, in many parts of the world where this plant grows well and has more reported cases of livestock deaths.

The blossom of kalanchoe has more toxins than any other part of the plant. This is the reason why there are more animal poisoning when this plant is in bloom.

Is kalanchoe Poisonous to Pets?

As mentioned a couple of times in this post, kalanchoe is dangerous to pets for the same reason. I suggest that if you grow it indoors, make sure it is away from pets such as dogs, cats, and even birds.

The common signs of poisoning in pets are drooling, stomach pain, and diarrhea. In severe cases, cardiac effects are the worst. If this happens to your pet, bring it immediately to your vet.

There is no quick treatment for the poison. But a vet can tremendously help your pet survive.

Other Succulents That Are Poisonous

Aside from kalanchoes, there are other succulent varieties that are potentially harmful for humans and pets. But don’t worry, the list is very short. Only a few are potentially poisonous.

This might be surprising especially for new succulent growers. Back when I was started, I did not also even think that some succulents are not safe for humans and pets.

Knowing what is safe and what is harmful is helpful to keep both humans and succulent plants thriving and healthy. This is even more important if you have kids at home.

If you are not sure whether your succulent is safe or not, I suggest that you make some research before placing the plant inside. Make sure that you keep all the harmful plants away from the reach of kids and pets.

As mentioned, kalanchoe is not the only potentially poisonous succulent plant. There are other varieties that are also harmful.

Euphorbias

The other poisonous succulent variety is the euphorbia. Euphorbias are widely known as a poisonous succulent family. These plants have natural white sap in their leaves that can cause skin irritation.

The effect of the substance on the skin depends on the skin’s reaction. In some people, the effect can be an intense while for others just a rash.

But whatever the possible effect is, it is very important to avoid contact with the sap of this plant. The safest way is to use gloves when handling euphorbias.

Final Thoughts on Is Kalanchoe Poisonous to Humans

Kalanchoe is one of the succulent families that you should keep away from your kids and pets. This is because kalanchoes are potentially poisonous. If placed indoors, make sure that it is inaccessible to both humans and pets.

If accidentally ingested, seek a doctor’s help. If your pet has eaten it, bring your pet to the nearest vet clinic immediately. Signs of poisoning are vomiting, nausea, and stomach pain.

Knowing what type of succulent plants you are growing indoor is very important. Always bear in mind that not all succulent plants are safe.

I hope this helps. Thank you for stopping by.

Related Question

Are succulents toxic to humans?

Not all succulent varieties are poisonous to humans. But there are a few like kalanchoes and euphorbias that are poisonous to humans when ingested. Euphorbias in particular can cause skin irritation when its sap is touched. If you are growing poisonous succulents at home, make sure that you make them inaccessible to humans and pets.

Robinson

I am a university teacher by profession, researcher, blogger, and gardener.

Recent Content

© 2020 Copyright Succulents Grower