Are the hens and chicks poisonous to cats? If you have pets at home, you might also ask this question. In this post, I will share with you some info you might want to know.
Hens and chicks are some of the perennial succulent plants you might want to grow. These plants are hardy and can survive harsh conditions.
However, if you have pets especially cats at home, you might wonder whether hens and chicks are safe for the pets.
So, are the hens and chicks poisonous to cats? Fortunately, hens and chicks do not contain toxic substances that could harm pets. The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) declared these plants as safe for cats, dogs, and other pets.
Are The Hens and Chicks Poisonous?
One of the concerns of growing plants at home is the safety of the kids and pets. You want to make sure that the plants are safe for your loved ones.
The good news is that if you are growing hens and chicks, there is nothing to worry about. Hens and chicks also known as houseleeks do not contain toxic substances making them safe for pets and humans.
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) declared that houseleeks are safe plants for pets.
In fact, some people consider houseleeks as part of their raw food diets. These plants have a slightly sour taste.
Hens and chicks also used some as a treatment for skin irritation. The water stored in the leaves can be a substitute for aloe vera.
What I like the most about hens and chicks is their ability to thrive with minimal care. They can be grown both indoors and outdoors.
You do not have to worry about maintenance. As long as they receive the right soil, sunlight, and water they are good to go.
Why Some People Think Hens and Chicks Are Toxic?
Succulents come in different varieties. Some of the species are not toxic but some are. Recognizing which is safe from the toxic ones can be a tricky job.
This might be the reason why many people think that hens and chicks are also toxic. But as mentioned earlier, houseleeks are safe for humans and pets.
Another factor that might trigger the wrong perception is the appearance of the plants. Hens and chicks usually have thick parts often mistaken to contain toxic compounds.
In most cases, succulents with thick parts have poisonous substances. Examples of these plants are:
- Jade Plants
- Aloe Vera
Because hens and chicks have similar features to poisonous plants, they are often mistaken as toxic.
However, the challenge sometimes is that you do not know what succulents you are growing. In this case, you need to make sure that none of your pets or kids accidentally eat the plants.
Knowing the symptoms of poisoning can also be helpful.
Symptoms of Poisoning
If you are not sure whether the plants are toxic or not, you need to implement some measures to prevent the children or pets from reaching the plants.
If they accidentally eat the plants, look for the behavioral changes. Some of the symptoms of poisoning are:
- Stomach Pain
- Breathing Difficulty
Lethargy, rapid breathing, and excessive salivation are common symptoms of poisoning in pets.
Aside from these symptoms, the poisonous substance of plants can also cause skin irritation like rashes.
If you see these symptoms in your kids or pets, do not hesitate to bring them to the near health professionals.
If you can, bring the sample of the ingested plant. This will help the doctors find out the root cause of the problem and help them to resolve the issue immediately.
Other Succulents That Are Safe for Kids and Pets
Aside from hens and chicks, there are many succulent varieties that are safe for kids and pets. You can grow them indoors without worrying potential issues.
Examples of the non-toxic succulents are the following:
- Bue Echeveria
- Wax Rosette
- Mexican Rosettes
- Burro Tail
These are just the few that I grow. But there are many non-toxic succulents out there you can have indoor.
If you are growing hens and chicks, there is nothing to worry about the safety of your kids and pets.
Hens and chicks are known to have no toxic compounds making them safe for kids and pets.
But prevention is still the best practice. I recommend that you keep all of your plants away from the kids and pets.